Monday, October 8, 2012

Boycotting American Eagle

So, remember when I said that one of my town's quirks is that we don't have a mall? Well, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

You see, when I purchased some jeans last week at American Eagle, I thought it would be no big deal. Go in the store. Head straight to the skinny jean wall area. Find size. Get in line. Pay. Leave. Bing. Bang. Boom. Done. 

Not so much.

I'm not even a fan of the store in the first place. I'll admit it was a staple during high school when I was really channeling my inner-prepster and had a love for all things trendy. However, once I got to college and beyond I began straying away from the obvious teenager style and started investing in a more classic and grown-up wardrobe that did not include American Eagle. The only thing that kept me coming back was the jeans. They actually carry and stock in store jeans with short enough inseams for me to wear immediately and not have to hem and hack off an inch or two. Most recently this past summer I bought a pair of dark skinnies that fit well in the waist and had a comfortable amount of stretch. Once the weather got cooler and shorts were no longer an option for wearing on bottom, I began putting on the skinnies nearly every day so I figured I could use another pair. When I was in town with a mall only five minutes away, I decided to head on over and pick some up. Since I already knew the correct size and color, I assumed I could duck in and out of the store in 5 minutes flat. 

Again, not so much. 

First, a sales guy gave me a spiel as soon as I walked in. Um, no I wouldn't like to try on the newest _____, but thank you. Yes, I am finding what I'm looking for, thank you. Yes, I will let you know if I need anything, thank you. Found the size. Headed over to the register where there is a line stretching almost all the way to the dressing room. Okay, no problem. Stood in line for what seemed like forever but probably was only ten minutes. Got to the cash register. Yes, I found what I was looking for, thank you. No, I do not have an access pass. Oh, please don't sign me up for one because I don't really come here often. No, I swear, I only buy jeans here about once a year. Yes, I'm sure, thank you. Swipe my card. Enter my PIN. Girl says that the computer is frozen and that they've been experiencing problems all day because they lost power last night. Okay, no problem. I then wait another ten minutes as the girl tries to unfreeze the computer, contacts her manager, waits for the manager, and the manager tries repeatedly to unfreeze the computer with no luck. Then I'm just sent to the next register to wait for the next available person. By this point I'm really tempted to just leave. BUT I remember how infrequently I find myself in a mall and how much I refuse to ever pay for shipping online so I wait. Five minutes later I get helped. AGAIN yes, I found what I was looking for, thank you. No, I do not have an access pass. Oh, please don't sign me up for one because I don't really come here often. No, I swear, I only buy jeans here about once a year. Yes, I'm sure, thank you. Swipe my card. Enter my PIN. This time it goes through and I'm merrily on my way.

Fast forward three days to Husband calling me wondering why there are two separate transactions on the online banking to American Eagle. I'm confused, so I jump online and check it out and sure enough, that first transaction with the frozen computer went through after all so I got charged twice. 

I call the 1-800 number found online and am on hold for ten minutes only to find out that they only deal with online transactions and can't help me. 
I call the store and am bounced between three employees, all of whom tell me that I have to physically come into the store to do the refund with my credit card statement to prove that I am not lying.
No way
I gather my thoughts.
In a nutshell, I politely argue that I am nearly an hour away and cannot just come in at the drop of a hat to resolve an issue that their system caused. 
At that, I am put on hold for five minutes as the manager calls her district manager. 
She tells me she will call me back in a little bit after they've chatted.
She calls back and says they are "willing to do something that they really are not authorized to do" and refund me over the phone. 
Great!
The catch is that they have to go through their accounting and auditing department, which will take at least two or three days (last week Friday at the latest, to be exact), at which point they will call me to confirm the refund.
Sigh. Okay, fine.

Fast forward to today. Still no call.
I just called them and the manager says that she's "been away all weekend and is not sure what happened but will call me tomorrow after the morning meeting to see if someone has heard anything."
Are you kidding
She apologizes but says that's the best she can do and promises to call by noon and "can leave a voicemail" (what does that mean?). 

So now I wait. 
And I may never shop at American Eagle ever again. 
A little dramatic?
Maybe.
Probably
But still...

No comments:

Post a Comment