Sunday, October 21, 2012

Run happy.


Today was the Grand Rapids Marathon

This race holds a special place in my heart. I ran that course as my first marathon last year on October 16, 2011 with a time of 4:07:39, finishing as #769 of the total 1608 marathoners (#251 of the 714 females) running that day. The year prior, on October 17, 2010, I also ran the GR half marathon with a time of 2:05:07 and finishing #874 of the 1682 half marathoners (#426 of the 1039 females) running . The course for both the half and full marathon through Grand Rapids is especially meaningful, as it closely follows the Fifth Third River Bank Run's 25K race that happens in early May, which I ran in both 2010 and 2011. I also participated in the 5K last year with two of my sisters, which was another great experience. 

Excited in the middle of the half marathon! 
Feeling good around mile 10 during last year's marathon!

Needless to say, I love distance running

However, lately I haven't had the chance to get out and run due to the chaos that is life as a nursing student with more than one part-time job and who lives apart from her husband and travels to see him every chance she gets. 

I'm busy.
I'm tired.
I'm overworked. 
I'm stressed.
I'm….probably making excuses.

I think I've forgotten that the beauty of running is that you can do it pretty much anywhere, for as long as you want. Any run, regardless of the time or quality, is better than no run, right? 

So even though a long distance race cannot hold a place in the near future for me, I think I'm going to try to get out and run at least two times a week. I'm not saying these runs are going to be spectacular, with any record-breaking mileage or distance goals to meet the weekly quota. Mostly they'll be for my sanity (since exercising is a stress reliever, after all) and to re-introduce this huge part of my life back into my weekly routine. 

Any and all encouragement is welcome!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! And if you DO do it, you'll be doing better than me...

    ReplyDelete