Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The BEST (and easiest-to-make) muffins. Ever.


As promised in this post, I present to you…

…the recipe for my applesauce muffins!
I really can't take too much credit for these little nuggets of baked apple goodness since I definitely did not make the recipe up. In fact, I got this when I was a freshman in college while working through undergrad for the first time around, from a professor who decided to spend her sabbatical taking an English class for education majors (have I mentioned how many times I changed my mind while in college the first time around? I probably should have guessed I'd be back in school based on my track record of changing majors basically every semester up until the year I actually graduatedbut that's another story…). She made these awesome muffins for the class one day and everyone requested the recipe. Although you see the pictured recipe card for my organized cookbook, I do still have the original piece of paper I copied the recipe onto, grease and spill marks and all that have accumulated over the years. I've made these babies for plenty of picnics, showers, coffee dates with friends, lazy Saturday morning breakfasts…you name it. Even though they're simple and nothing too extraordinary, I feel like they're always a hit. 

Want to make some? It's so easy!

Gather the ingredients.
Plop in a bowl.
Stir stir stir
I used a measuring cup (1/4) to scoop out the batter into the greased tin.
Looking good already, right?
Bake…and then you get a delicious smelling kitchen plus some salivating-induced muffins!
A note on the flour: Although I have 1 cup of all purpose flour and only a 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour listed on the recipe card, I do usually measure out 3/4 cup of each. There's really not much difference - it just makes for a coarser texture since I'm using more of the whole wheat. Also, usually I use 100% whole wheat flour, but all I had on hand was white whole wheat flour that I use in my bread maker for baking homemade pizza dough (Husband isn't fond of the whole wheat texture in the pizza crust so I try to sneak in the whole grain using white whole wheat instead of completely all purpose flour). It actually reacted way differently in these muffins than what I expected. Most times they turn out darker and more dense than these lighter, fluffier ones. Either way, the recipe is still great, in my opinion!

Applesauce Muffins

1/2 cup oil (can substitute with more applesauce to cut down on fat)
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour OR 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour OR 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup natural, unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice

Mix all ingredients in a bowl well.
Bake in muffin tin at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. 
Enjoy!

1 comment: